Building Trust in Science through Effective Communication: The Essentials Online In Conjunction with the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science at Stony Brook University
10/19/2023 1:00 - 4:00 pm ET
Event Type : Course
Event Code : 4R04
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED!
The national security enterprise needs science, technology, and innovation more than ever. Good science, and trust in science, helps individuals, budget and policy makers, government organizations, and societies make better decisions on a host of issues.
Scientific understanding requires more than sharing facts and figures. Research and innovation need to be approachable, relevant, and engaging to individuals across backgrounds and experiences. More constructive engagements on complex technical topics, like quantum computing and artificial intelligence, can lead to better partnerships and business opportunities. It can also reduce misunderstandings which lead to policy and regulatory missteps.
Effective communication builds trust and engagement. How you share your work directly impacts its reach, funding, and power. During this communication program, your scientists, engineers, and the staff that supports them will expand their skills with a professional development opportunity that will empower them to join a vital national security conversation.
This 3-hour online course offers an exploration of effective and engaging science communication and gives participants opportunities to experiment and practice.
At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
• Learn to connect and interact with an audience in meaningful ways
• Employ strategies that make messages and information memorable
• Shift their focus to others; learn when and how to adapt messages to aid another’s understanding
• Prioritize clarity by minimizing jargon and using evocative language and analogies
• Apply a strategic communication tool to consider audience, context, challenges, and communication goals
Enrollment is extremely limited, so register today to save your seat!