Michael Roberts, SES
Deputy Director of Project Overmatch
JADC2: All Domain Warfare Symposium : Project Overmatch
Michael W. Roberts, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Executive Director for Overmatch, USN. As the Executive Director and senior civilian Mr. Roberts oversees the development and delivery of the Naval Operational Architecture (NOA) which enables the Navy to be a connected and adaptable force that can plan, coordinate, and execute Distributed Maritime Operations (DMO).
Mr. Roberts was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2017 and has held two SES positions prior to his current assignment. In his previous positon as the Director and Program Executive Officer (PEO) for The Space Rapid Capabilities Office, Mr. Roberts was responsible for and oversaw Space-based research, development and acquisition activities totaling an annual budget in excess of $5 billion. Prior to that Mr. Roberts served as the Director for Development and Integration, PEO IWS, where he integrated system requirements and resources for combat systems, associated elements, and facilitated the execution of effective systems engineering processes for development, integration, and developmental test of Navy Surface Combat System capabilities.
Mr. Roberts’s diverse and challenging career spans 26 years in support of the U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force and U.S. Space Force as both a veteran and acquisition professional. The past twenty years, his career focus has been on acquisition, combat and weapon system engineering, design, testing, fielding, and sustainment. He has held various senior Program Manager positions within the Acquisition community.
2009 Masters of Science in Systems Engineering , Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
2006 Masters of Science in Software Engineering, University of Management and Technology, Arlington, VA.
2004 Bachelors of Science in Engineering Technology, Grantham University, Lenexa, KS.
2013 DAWIA Program Management and System Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering Level III
1. July 1995 – April 2001, AEGIS Fire Controlman (FC) First Class, USS Port Royal CG 73, Pearl Harbor, HI
2. April 2001 – January 2004, SPY Element Test Engineer, Northrup Grumman IT, Dahlgren, VA
3. January 2004 – May 2005, DDG 1000 IV&V Engineer, Northrup Grumman IT, Dahlgren, VA
4. May 2005 – June 2009, Software Certification Senior Systems Engineer, NSWCDD, Tewksbury, MA
5. June 2009 – October 2010, DDG 1000 Combat Systems TD, NAVSEA05H, Washington Navy Yard, DC
6. October 2010 – August 2013, AEGIS Principle Assistant Program Manager, Washington Navy Yard, DC
7. August 2013 – March 2015, ZUMWALT Deputy Major Program Manager, Washington Navy Yard, DC
8. March 2015 – January 2017, Surface Ships Weapons Duty Major Program Manager, Arlington, VA
9. January 2017 – February 2019, Director, Development and Integration PEO IWS, Washington Navy Yard, DC
10. February 2019 – March 2022, Director, Space Rapid Capabilities Office, Kirtland AFB, NM
11. March 2022 – Present, Executive Director, Project Overmatch, San Diego, CA
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award NAVSEA Meritorious Unit Commendation Medal
Secretary of the Navy Acquisition Excellence Award Navy Achievement Medal (2 Awards)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal Unit Commendation Medal (3 Awards)
National Defense Service Medal