Deputy Director Department of the Air Force
JADC2: All Domain Warfare Symposium : Advanced Battle Management Systems for the 21st Century
Melissa A. Johnson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director of the Department of the Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. Alongside the Director, she directs selected study, development and fielding activities tasked directly by the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, the Secretary of the Air Force, the Chief of Staff of the Air Force and the Assistant Secretary for the Air Force for Acquisition. The Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office has been responsible for development and deployment of significant upgrades to the Integrated Air Defense System now operational around the National Capital Region and the launch and experimental operations of the X-37Orbital Test Vehicle. Other responsibilities include technical integration of Department of Defense classified activities, and the representation of these activities to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Congress, and the White House.
MS. Johnson is the lead for all government program office efforts with Industry and is responsible for program/Air Staff interactions with the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Staff and Congress.
MS. Johnson graduated from the University of Florida in 1995 and received her commission from the United States Air Force Officer Training School in March 1996. Throughout her time on active duty, Ms. Johnson served in a variety of assignments and leadership roles ranging from aerodynamic propulsion analyst, to Materiel Leader for a highly classified more than $8 billion Deputy Secretary of Defense-directed strategic combat system, and finished her 24-year career as leading more than 100programs, valued at $1.7 billion as the Program Executive Officer, Special Operations Forces, Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Headquarters, U.S. Special Operations Command.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
1998 Master of Science in Engineering Management, University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence2008 Air Force Legislative Fellow, Air University, Washington, D.C.
2013 Air War College Non-resident Program, Maxwell AFB, Ala.2016 Blue Horizons Fellowship, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. March 1996–August 1997, Aerodynamic Propulsion Analyst, National Air Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. August 1997–March 1998, Special Projects Engineer, 28th Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. March 1998–September 2000, Special Projects Program Manager, 28th Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. October 2000–January 2002, Engineering Test Director, Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. January 2002–June 2003, High Power Microwave Applications Program Manager, Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtl and AFB, N.M.
6. June 2003–June 2004, Chief, Asymmetric Capabilities Development Branch, Rapid Capabilities Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters of the Air Force, Arlington, Va.
7. June 2004–June 2005, Executive Officer, Rapid Capabilities Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters of the Air Force, Arlington, Va.
8. June 2005–July 2007, Chief, Offensive Capabilities Branch, Rapid Capabilities Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters of the Air Force, Arlington, Va.
9. August 2007–January 2009, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Air University, Washington, D.C.
10. January 2009–August 2011, Director, Non-Standard Aircraft Systems, Program Executive Office for Fixed Wing Aircraft, Center for Special Operations Acquisitions and Logistics, Headquarters, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
11. August 2011–July 2015, Materiel Leader, Strategic Combat Systems, Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2015–July 2016, Blue Horizons Fellow, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. August 2016–May 2017, Chief, Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent Integration, Intercontinental Ballistics Systems Division, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Hill AFB, Utah
14. June 2017–July 2020, Program Executive Officer, Fixed Wing, Special Operations Forces, Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Headquarters, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
15. October 2020–present, Deputy Director, Department of the Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND Honors
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Program Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program (APDP)Test and Evaluation, Level II APDP Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering, Level II, APDP
(Current as of January 2021)