Maj Gen Michael Guetlein, USAF
National Reconnaissance Office
Ronald Reagan Missile Defense Conference
Ronald Reagan Missile Defense Conference
BioMaj. Gen. Michael A. Guetlein is the Deputy Director, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Virginia. His responsibilities include assisting the Director in managing the strategic and tactical operations of the NRO. Additionally, as the Commander, Air Force Space Command Element, he manages all Air Force personnel and resources assigned to the NRO and serves as the senior advisor to the DNRO on all military matters.
Maj. Gen. Guetlein graduated from Oklahoma State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical aerospace engineering and was commissioned in 1991 through ROTC.
Maj. Gen. Guetlein also holds master’s degrees from Wright-State University, George Washington University and the Naval War College.
Maj. Gen. Guetlein recently served as the Program Executive for Programs and Integration for the Missile Defense Agency. Programs in the general’s portfolio included Ground-based Midcourse Defense, Targets and Countermeasures, Terminal High Altitude Area Defense System, Foreign Military Sales programs with Israel, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates and several classified programs collectively valued more than $2.5 billion annually. His portfolio included more than 2,000 civilian, military and contractor personnel at locations worldwide.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Aerospace Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
1995 Master of Business Administration, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1999 Master’s Degree, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2005 Master’s Degree, National Security and Policy Making, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. September 1991 - September 1993, AC-130U Gunship Support Manager, Special Operations Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. October 1993 - August 1994, Chief, B-2 Bomber Propulsion, B-2 Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. August 1994 - January 1996, Executive Officer, Engineering Directorate, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. January 1996 - July 1996, AC-130U Gunship Sortie Gen. Flight Commander, 4th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. July 1996 - July 1997, AC-130H Gunship Flight Commander, 16th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. July 1997 - June 1999, Air Force Intern, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. June 1999 - March 2002, Deputy Program Manager, Space Based Infrared System Ground Segment, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
8. March 2002 - March 2003, Director, Missile Warning Systems, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
9. March 2003 - June 2004, Executive Officer, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
10. June 2004 - June 2005, Student, Naval War College, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
11. June 2005 - December 2006, Counterspace Program Element Monitor, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. December 2006 - June 2008, Military Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. June 2008 - July 2010, Commander, Rapid Reaction Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. July 2010 - June 2011, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellow, Space Exploration Enterprises, Los Angeles
15. June 2011 - August 2014, Senior Materiel Leader, SBIRS Production Division, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
16. September 2014 - April 2017, Program Director, Remote Sensing Systems Directorate, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
17. April 2017 – June 2019, Program Executive for Programs and Integration, Missile Defense Agency, Redstone Arsenal, Ala.
18. July 2019 - present, Deputy Director, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. April 2017 – June 2019, Program Executive for Programs and Integration, Missile Defense Agency, Redstone Arsenal, Ala., as a brigadier general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 11, 1991
First Lieutenant July 20, 1993
Captain July 20, 1995
Major June 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2010
Brigadier General July 22, 2016
Major General Frocked