Dr. Desmond G. Newman Award for Supply Chain Excellence
The Newman Award is presented annually to an industry individual in recognition of noteworthy contributions or meritorious service in the area of supply chain management and its implementation in supporting the defense manufacturing base. The award was established in 2016 by the National Defense Industrial Association, to stimulate thought and develop programs which will benefit industry and the public.
The award program encourages planning techniques or solutions to troublesome problems for supply chains supporting the defense manufacturing base. The award is presented in honor of innovator and founder of the Supply Chain Network Committee, Dr. Desmond G. Newman.
At inception the Newman Award nomination process began in September and culminated with presentation is presented by NDIA at the annual Defense Manufacturing Conference in December 2017.
Starting in 2019 the award will be presented at the annual NDIA Logistics Forum. The deadline for nominations is 1 February each year.
2018 Award Schedule
- 1 February - Nominations are due to NDIA
- 4 - 8 February – Awards committee selects winner
- 8 February – Chair provides selection announcement to NDIA/Chair Manufacturing Division
- 10 February - NDIA contacts award winner
- 10 April - Award Presented at the NDIA National Logistics Forum, Tampa, FL
Nomination forms may be found here (PDF). The Manufacturing Division administers the Newman Award.
The criteria for the Newman Award:
- The award honors an individual from the private sector – no group, or organization awards.
- Recognition may be for a single action, or for lifetime achievement.
- Actions must have positive, lasting impact.
- Actions must be related to supply chain management in support of the defense/national security industrial base (i.e. supporting the Departments of Defense or Homeland Security).
- Anyone with knowledge of a commendable action(s) may nominate a candidate.
- Actions must be verifiable.
Mr. Daniel DiMase, Honeywell Aerospace Co.
Inaugural Dr. Desmond G. Newman Award Recipient
2016 Newman Award is presented to Mr. David W. Starr (center), by Mr. Joe Spruill, Supply Chain Network Committee Chair (left), and award namesake, Dr. Desmond Newman
Past Winners2017 - Daniel DiMase, Honeywell Aerospace (view full bio, PDF)
2016- David W. Starr (view full bio, PDF)