The Walter W. Hollis Award is presented annually in recognition of the lifetime contributions and achievement in the area of defense Test & Evaluation. The award is presented in the name of Walter W. Hollis who is recognized for his dedicated and long-standing service in the field of Test & Evaluation.
Mr. Brian Simmons, Technical Director, ATEC
Brian’s Army career began 32 years ago in the Army Ballistic Research Labs. He then moved to AMSAA as an evaluator for infantry anti-armor weapons. Recognizing his skills as an analyst, engineer and manager, he was soon appointed Chief, Test Business Operations for Army TECOM. He also served a brief tour in the Pentagon in HQ Army Secretariat as Deputy
Director, Plans, Programs and Resources. He has also served as Deputy to the Commander/
Technical Director, Army Developmental Test Command and Director, Army Evaluation
Center. As a member of the Senior Executive Service since 1998, Brian was appointed as Tech Director, Army Test and Evaluation Command (ATEC) nearly 2 years ago, overseeing the execution of all ATEC test plans and reports as well as the command’s evaluation strategy and analysis. He’s also responsible for integrating their instrumentation, policy, M&S and continuous improvement projects, and has directed the T&E for over 400 weapons programs with a workforce of 9,000 and budget of $2B. He completed his undergrad work at University of Maryland, received an MS from Johns Hopkins and a Harvard Executive Fellowship, graduated from the Army War College and is a certified member of the Army Acquisition Corps. He is also the recipient of two Presidential citations for his outstanding achievements.
- Dr. James N. Walbert, Chief Scientist, SURVICE Engineering Company
- Dr. James J. Streilein, Technical Director/Deputy to the Commander, U.S.
Army Test and Evaluation Command (2010)
- Dr. Ernest Seglie, Science Advisor to the Director, Operational Test & Evaluation, OSD (2009)
- Dr. Paul H. Deitz, Acting Director HRED, ARL, APG, MD (2008)
- Mr. James F. O'Bryon, Former DDOT&E / LFT (2007)
- RADM Bert Johnston, USN (Ret), Wyle Laboratories (2006)
- Hon Thomas Christie, DOT&E, OSD (2005)
- Dr. Marion Williams, HQ AFOTEC (2004)
- Mr. James Fasig, Aberdeen Test Center (2003)
- Mr. G. Thomas Castino, Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (2002)
- Hon Philip Coyle, III, DOT&E, OSD (2001)
- Mr. Walter Hollis, Department of the Army (2000)