Studies & Publications
Systems Engineering Division
Studies & Publication
The Business Case for Systems Engineering: Results of the Systems Engineering Effectiveness Survey
This report summarizes the results of a survey that had the goal of quantifying the connection between the application of systems engineering (SE) best practices to projects and the performance of those projects. The survey population consisted of projects and programs executed by system developers reached through the NDIA, the IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society, and INCOSE. Analysis of survey responses revealed strong statistical relationships between project performance and several categories of specific SE best practices. The survey results show notable differences in the relationship between SE best practices and performance between more challenging and less challenging projects.
The Business Case for Systems Engineering: Detailed Response Data
This report contains detailed response data from The Effectiveness of Systems Engineering: A Survey. The survey had the goal of quantifying the connection between the application of systems engineering (SE) best practices to projects and programs and the performance of those projects and programs. The survey population consisted of projects and programs executed by system developers reached through the NDIA, the IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society, and INCOSE. Analysis of survey responses revealed strong statistical relationships between project performance and several categories of SE best practices. The survey results show notable differences in the relationship between SE best practices and performance between more challenging and less challenging projects. The statistical relationship with project performance is quite strong for survey data of this kind when both SE capability and project challenge are considered together.
- DoD/Industry Quality Assurance Council Meeting, Mr. Michael Shields, Jr.
- SoS SE and TE NDIA Final Report, March 2012
This report presents an approach to integrated systems engineering (SE) and test and evaluation (T&E) for SoS based on work underway by the National Defense Industry Association Systems Engineering Division Systems of Systems and Developmental Test and Evaluation Committees. The report focuses on how to approach T&E for SoS given the challenges of large scale SoS development as a continuous improvement process that provides information on capabilities and limitations for end users and feedback to the SoS and system SE teams toward SoS evolution.
- NDIA System Development Performance Measurement Report, December 2011
Version 0.50 of the DASD/SE-sponsored Systems Engineering Body of Knowledge (SEBoK) has been released and is available at www.sebokwiki.org. This is the second release of the SEBOK, with the final release planned for September 2012.
The SEBoK is now published as a Wiki. It is organized into 7 parts, 29 knowledge areas, and 115 topics. This version has 7 case studies, 7 vignettes, and 5 use cases. It contains 166 primary references, and hundreds of additional references. The glossary contains 389 terms. The SEBoK contains the efforts of over 60 authors representing six continents, and almost every corner of the SE community.
With this release, developers are opening the review processes world-wide. Instructions for reviewing material are posted on each page. Over the next 3 months, developers are soliciting feedback through the discussion tabs on each article, and through a general form found in the left margin of each page under the tab "Note to Reviewers."
- Industry's Role in Development Planning Report, January 2011
- Task Report - CMMI for Small Business in the Defense Industry, December 2010
- Benefits of CMMI Within the Defense Industry, October 2010
- Systems Engineering Effectiveness Study, October 2010
- Top Systems Engineering Issues in US Defense Industry, September 2010
- Top Software Engineering Issues within Department of Defense and Defense Industry, September 2010
Systemic Root Cause Analysis (of program failures), March 2009
- NDIA 2009 SW Test & Evaluation Workshop/Summit White Paper
- Results of Survey on M&S Support for the SE of Systems of Systems, October 2009
- System Assurance Guidebook, October 2008
- Naval Capability Evolution Process Guidebook Review
NDIA Request Write-Up
Naval Capability Evolution Process Guidebook Vol 1
Naval Capability Evolution Process Guidebook Vol 2
- Top 5 Systems Engineering Issues, July 2006
NDIA Top 5 Systems Engineering Issues Report
NDIA Top 5 Systems Engineering Issues Presentation
- Top Software Issues, September 2006
NDIA Top Software Issues Report
NDIA Top Software Issues Presentation
- M&S Support to the New DoD Acquisition Process, February 2004