CMMI Working Group
The NDIA CMMI® Working Group is chartered by the NDIA Systems Engineering Division to provide a broad-based industry perspective on issues related to CMMI®-based process improvement. The CMMI® Working Group advises the NDIA Systems Engineering Division and CMMI® Steering Group on CMMI® product suite content, issues, and strategies for implementation, appraisal, and training with recommendations to optimize the leverage of CMMI® investments in government and industry.
- Jim Armstrong, Stevens Institute
- Dan Blazer, SAIC
- Michael Campo, Raytheon Company
- Juliet Davis, The Boeing Company
- Geoff Draper, Harris Corporation
- Jeffrey L. Dutton, Jacobs Technology, Inc.
- Lisa Ming, BAE Systems
- Wendell Mullison, General Dynamics, Land Systems
- Kathy Smith, Business Improvement Consulting, LLC
- Rick Welch, Northrop Grumman
- Dorna Witkowski, Lockheed Martin
The CMMI® Working Group provides inputs on CMMI®-related products to the CMMI® Steering Group and CMMI® Project, and develops work products assigned by the CMMI® Steering Group, NDIA Systems Engineering Division, or initiated internally within the CMMI® Working Group.
• Written positions (white papers, reports, product suite reviews, etc.) reflecting issues and recommendations regarding the current or future CMMI® product suite and associated support mechanisms. Examples of CMMI® product suite reviews may include proposed Implementation Packages, or proposed changes to the CMMI® Framework, model, or appraisal method.
• Briefings, documents, and other artifacts developed as CMMI® WG products intended for public use.
• Regular status reports to NDIA SE Division and CMMI® Steering Group, including issues and initiatives under consideration.
Key products of the CMMI® Working Group include:
• NDIA position paper: The Effective Use of CMMI
Position statements from NDIA Systems Engineering Division on the effective use of CMMI® for project development and acquisition.
• Guidance document: The Economics of CMMI
White paper with guidance for industry executives and CMMI® adopters on achieving business value and performance returns through CMMI® investments.
• Presentation briefing: CMMI for Executives
Overview of CMMI® and the benefits of adoption, targeted at executives in industry and government.
• Task Report: CMMI for Small Business in the Defense Industry
A study on the adoption and use of CMMI® by small businesses in the defense industry.
The CMMI® Working Group is currently working on approaches to reduce the costs of maintaining CMMI® maturity level ratings through a tailored SCAMPI maintenance appraisal method (SCAMPI M) based on sampling and delta appraisals to close weaknesses identified in SCAMPI A appraisals.
The CMMI® Working Group encourages organizations to realize business value and improved project performance through the effective use of CMMI®, achieved economically. The CMMI® Working Group sponsors industry-wide learning, sharing and collaboration through publications, conferences, workshops, focus groups, and other means of communication to provoke dialog within companies and across industry on raising expectations for the business results achieved through CMMI®.
Conference presentations from the CMMI® Working Group include:
o The Economics of CMMI (CMMI Conference 2009)
o CMMI for Small Business (CMMI Conference 2010)
o CMMI for Executives (CMMI Conference 2010)
o CMMI® Surveillance Appraisals: A Modest Proposal (CMMI® Conference 2011)
We welcome your feedback via the NDIA CMMI® Working Group and encourage your involvement in maintaining a community emphasis on the business value achieved through CMMI® investments. For additional information, contact one of the CMMI® Working Group members, or the working group lead: