Industry Input Sought by USD, AT&L on Opportunities for US-Indian Industry Collaboration
Download/Print/View Under Secretary of Defense (AT&L) Frank Kendall's letter to the Council of Defense and Space Industry Associations (March 28, 2013)
Export Control Reform
- NDIA is one of the 18 members of the Coalition for Security and Competitiveness (CSC)
- Goal: Modernize the US export control system to be more efficient, predictable and transparent
- Jan 2008: CSC actions spurred modest improvements in form of Presidential Directives
- Aug 09: President Obama directs a comprehensive review of U.S. export controls
- Oct 09: CSC offers proposed ‘principles and objectives’ as framework for 21st century technology control regime
- Jan 10: CSC publishes “Recommendations for a 21st Century Technology Control Regime”
- Buy American Act
Read NDIA Blog post about export control reform: http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=52.
Select this link to see the Coalition for Security and Competitiveness “Recommendations for a 21st Century Technology Control Regime”
Buy America Act
The Buy American Act (BAA - 41 U.S.C. § 10a–10d) was originally passed in 1933 by the U.S Congress, which required the United States government to prefer U.S.-made products in its purchases. The current stimulus bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives and being debated in the U.S. Senate contains a provision which would alter the Buy American act. Please see the following links for international reaction to such changes.
Articles of Interest
Pentagon Industrial Chief Predicts Pain by Paul McLeary, DefenseNews, April 29, 2013
Basic Guide To Exporting - Information from the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service explaining how to profit from going global.
US, Italy Sign Procurement Accord - October 20, 2008, U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates and Italian Minister of Defense Ignazio La Russa signed an updated Reciprocal Defense Procurement Memorandum of Understanding which allows effective defense cooperation by establishing principles and procedures recognized by both governments for the conduct of defense procurements.
The Arms Export Control Act for the Republic of Korea and Israel - H.R. 7177 was signed into law on Wednesday, October 15, 2008. The act authorizes military assistance for Israel, and authorizes the transfer of U.S. naval vessels to foreign governments.