Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Division
| Division Mission/Objective/Purpose | Division Leadership | Division Meetings & Events | Inquiries/Questions | Past Conferences |
NDIA Presents The Red Ball Express Award To Michael D. Sprang
The award was presented at NDIA's Michigan Chapter "5th Annual Membership Social". (pdf)
NDIA has announced that its Tactical Wheeled Vehicle Division presented The Red Ball Express Award to Mr. Michael D. Sprang, JPO JLTV, on March 20, 2013, at the 5th Annual Membership Social in Sterling Heights, MI.
The Red Ball Express is awarded for outstanding contribution to the Tactical Wheeled Vehicle (TWV) community. Recipients of this award must have made significant contributions that have led to the strengthening of our national security by developing, procuring, or supporting Tactical Wheeled Vehicles or critical technologies that contribute to the same.
Mr. Sprang has made many significant contributions to the development and support of light tactical vehicles, especially the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), over the last eight years during a critical period of military combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. In particular, Mr. Sprang managed the production and fielding of thousands of armor kits for HMMWV’s in Iraq and Afghanistan, at a value of over six billion dollars. His relentless drive to field these kits as rapidly as possible, while adhering to exacting standards, saved countless American and allied lives
NDIA & Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Division
Red Ball Express Award
Past Red Ball Express Award Recipients
- 2013 - Mr. Michael D. Sprang, JPO JLTV
- 2012 - Joint Program Office, Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles
Red Ball Express Award Nominations
Please bookmark this web page to obtain and view nomination submittal information and details on when NDIA's TWV Division will present its third annual Red Ball Express Award to a deserving government or industry organization or individual at a future TWV conference. The recipient will have made significant contributions that have led to the strengthening of our national security by developing or procuring TWV's or critical technologies that contribute to them.
You can also follow the TWV Division on Twitter @NDIA_TWV or #ndiatwv.
- Top of Page -
The primary objective of the Tactical Wheeled Vehicle Division of NDIA is to enhance the security of the United States by promoting communications and interaction between defense industry, government and military in the area of automotive activities.
The specific charter of the Tactical Wheeled Vehicle Division is to conduct conferences in technology areas directly related to automotive research, design, development, test and production. Such conferences are intended to present advanced technology and provide for an exchange of information and an interchange of views between defense industry, government and military representatives. The effective cooperation between these three groups is vital to our defense effort in the tactical wheeled vehicle area. Each group brings unique inputs to such conferences. No one group can function at maximum effectiveness without the other two.
- To serve as an effective communications vehicle for the exchange of views and information between government and industry on matters of common concern.
- To foster mutual understanding and effective working relationships between government and industry in order to achieve a sound body of government policy and procedures which will serve both the security objectives of the United Sates as well as the commercial interests of its industry.
- To provide government with industry advice on government policies, practices and procedures and industry's needs and problems within the Division's purview.
To promote national exchanges between the Defense Department, government agencies and industry, of information relating to the design, development, acquisition and support of vehicles and vehicle systems employed in land and amphibious military operations.
Division Charter (pdf)
- Top of Page -
Mr. Ron Johnson
NDIA Tactical Wheeled Vehicle Division Vice-Chairman:
Vice President, Land Warfare Systems
DRS Technologies, Inc.
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 915
Arlington, VA 22202-4801
Director, International Strategy & Industrial Participation
Oshkosh Defense, Oshkosh Corporation
P.O. Box 2566
Oshkosh, WI 54903-2566
Phone: (920) 233-9212;
- Jeffrey A. Anderson, Caterpillar Inc.
- David Damian, ArvinMeritor
- Bill DeHaan, MTU Detroit Diesel
- Richard Engel, Freightliner Corp.
- Daryl Gore, BAE Systems
- COL Robert Groller, USA (Ret.), Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Mike C. Guthrie, Cummins Engine Company, Inc.
- Kathryn Hasse, Lockheed Martin
- Henry Hodges, Jr., Nevada Automotive Test Center
- Meg Kulungowski, Navistar Defense
- David Laverdiere, Allison Transmission
- Sean Murphy, Daimler Trucks North America, LLC
- Larry Platt, AM General
- Chuck Prikopa, BAE Systems
- Pat MacArevey, Navistar Defense
- Barry Tyree
- COL James Wank, USA (Ret.), Command Holdings Group
Government Liaison Representatives
- Colonel (P) David G. Bassett, USA, CS&CSS
- LtCol Mike Burks, USMC PM Light Tactical Vehicles
- Tom Miller, USMC MARCORSYSCOM
- Zina J. Kozak-Zachary,Program Executive Office CS&CSS
- James (Jay) Proctor, Deputy Program Manager, PM Light Tactical Vehicles
- Top of Page -
Division Meetings & Events
The annual Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference is the only one held annually that is specific to the military’s Tactical Wheeled Vehicle community. It has historically brought Department of Defense representatives, prime contractors, subcontractors, and their suppliers together to discuss present and future wheeled vehicle requirements for all services. It has afforded an atmosphere for open discussions between the customers and the suppliers based on the needs of the military users. The information presented is valuable to program managers, engineers, planners and marketers. In addition, open discussions will be invaluable to DoD planners and program managers.
- Top of Page -
For more information on this Division, please contact:
NDIA Tactical Wheeled Vehicle Division Director
CAPT Bruce Roulstone, USN (Ret.)
NDIA Tactical Wheeled Vehicle Division Conference POC
Miss Angie De Kleine, CAE, CMM, CMP
Associate Director, Operations
- Top of Page -
Past Conference Information
2002 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference (DTIC Proceedings - external site)
January 27-29, 2002
2004 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference (DTIC Proceedings - external site)
February 2-4, 2004
2006 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference
February 5 - 7, 2006
2007 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference (TWV) (DTIC Proceedings - external site)
February 4-6, 2007
2008 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference
February 3, 2008
2010 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference
Sunday, February 7 - Tuesday, February 10, 2010
2011 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference
Sunday, February 6 - Tuesday, February 8, 2011
2012 Tactical Wheeled Vehicles Conference
Sunday, February 5 - Tuesday, February 7, 2012