The Human Systems Division promotes the exchange of technical information and discussions among government, industry and academia, and the expansion of research and development in areas that are related to the human, whose performance is essential to any system, or system of systems. To this end, the Human Systems Division provides a variety of ways for government, industry and academia to work together to advance human performance in air, land, sea, space and cyberspace environments through research, education and consultation.
- Advocate human-centered research to promote the integration technologies to optimize and protect the warfighter’s cognitive and physiologic capabilities to successfully operate in air, land, sea, space, and cyberspace environments.
- Promote discussions about the circumstances that make the “human factor” a top priority in Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E).
- Advocate the implementation of human performance abilities and limits in the design of products and technologies for applications in all physical domains.
- Conduct studies and prepare reports in response to requests from the DoD HS Community of Interest (COI) to recommend solutions to specific problems or issues related to human performance in complex systems.
- Advocate, lead, and influence increased discussion and research on the elements of the human-system integration (HSI) domain such as; Manpower, Personnel, Training, Safety, Suitability, Habitability, Occupational Health (including operational medicine), Environment, and Human Factors Engineering.
2015 Human Systems Conference
Date: February 2015
More information coming soon!
2014 Human Systems Conference
Date: February 4-5, 2014
Location: Hilton Crystal City, Arlington, VA
Dr. Christopher Nemeth
Cognitive Systems Division
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
1750 Commerce Center Blvd. North
Fairborn, OH 45324-6362
Phone: (937) 825-0707
Mrs. Christy J. Mason, CMP
Phone: (703) 247-2586
Human Systems Division Workshop
September 11-12, 2012
Download/Print/View Workshop Agenda
Download/Print/View Introduction - Dr. Chris Nemeth
Download/Print/View Human Systems COI Update - Mr. Jack Blackhurst
Download/Print/View Human Systems Priority Steering Council Update - Dr. John Tangney
Download/Print/View Army S&T Highlights - Mr. John Lockett
Download/Print/View Navy S&T Highlights - CDR Joseph Cohn, USN
Download/Print/View Air Force S&T Highlights - Mr. Jack Blackhurst
Download/Print/View Overview of 2007 NRC Study on HSI in the System Development Process and Some Resources, Recent Extensions, and Tools - Prof Frank Ritter
Download/Print/View Overview of NDIA Systems Engineering HSI Committee - Ms. Elaine Thorpe
Download/Print/View NASA HSI Perspective - Mr. David Fitts & Dr. Jen Rochlis Zumbado
Download/Print/View Industry HSI Perspective - Dr. Matthew Risser
Download/Print/View Government HSI Perspective: MANPRINT - Dr. Bev Knapp
Download/Print/View Government HSI Perspective: Navy HSI - Ms. Patricia Hamburger
Download/Print/View End of Day 1, Intro to Day 2 - Dr. Chris Nemeth
Download/Print/View Advocacy & Metrics Outbrief
Download/Print/View Interfaces Outbrief
Download/Print/View Training Outbrief
Download/Print/View Workshop Summary - Dr. David Woods
Download/Print/View The Way Ahead - Dr. Chris Nemeth
Download/Print/View Final Workshop Attendee Roster
Inaugural Meeting Proceedings
October 19, 2011
Download/Print/View Human Systems Inaugural Meeting Agenda
Download/Print/View Dr. Greg Zacharias Presentation; Part I
Download/Print/View Dr. John Tangney Presentation
Download/Print/View Dr. Elaine Thorpe Presentation
Download/Print/View Dr. Greg Zacharias Presentation; Part II
Download/Print/View Dr. Chris Nemeth Presentation; Part I
Download/Print/View Dr. Chris Nemeth Presentation; Part II
Download/Print/View Inaugural Meeting Attendee Roster -Uploaded 10/25/2011
Download/Print/View: Division Roster -Updated 7/13/2012